It's March now, and time to take the Christmas ornament garland off my craft room fireplace mantle... don't ya think? I have had an idea in my mind for a cute pennant and pom pom bunting that I wanted to have there for spring, and finally got around to getting it made. It looks much more "springy" indeed, and I love how it turned out!
My small stash of yarn from my one winter of crocheting a few years ago, provided me with the perfect varieagated yarn to use for the pom poms. I'm no pom pom expert, but I like the slightly messy results; I only threw away the first four tries! The best results were acheived by wrapping the yarn around 2 or 3 fingers about 40 times. Then, (in case you've never made pom poms), after taking the yarn off my fingers, a small piece was tied tightly around the middle of the bunch, followed by cutting the loops on both sides, and some "fluffing". And that's it. Of course, you may have different results, depending on the yarn.
For the pennants, I used the CREATE pennat file. I used MTC (Make The Cut) to cut them out with my Zing. (If you'd like more information on settings for the Zing and Make the Cut, look here.) But of course, this could be done with any cutting software that will import the SVG. With the cut layer turned off, I printed the image and registration marks. Then when I cut it, I turned the cut layer back on and turned off the image layer.
Note:I also drew a rectangle around the entire image and put it on separate layer. This layer was kept on for both print and cut. I did this because I wanted to make sure the registration marks didn't move slightly depending on the layer I was working with. I'm not sure if this was completely necessary, and may depend on which cutting software is being used. But, since the cut design was slightly bigger than the print design, I was afraid it could be an issue.
In Make The Cut, I labeled the image layer, “Print Only”, the cut line layer, “Cut Only”, and the rectangle layer, “Print and Cut”. This was to remind me which layers should be turned on, and which should be turned off for each step.
After the pennants were cut out, I used my Cricut Stylus to emboss and "pop" out the scallops a bit more. The puple sheet you see in the photo below is craft foam. I needed something soft under my pennant for embossing. The craft foam was actually a little too soft. I found that a couple pieces of paper towel folded worked even better. You can see some of the detail in the photo of the pennants above.
I love how my little fireplace looks with this cute pennant and pom pom bunting. It has put a little fun in my craft space.